Monday, June 18, 2007

Final Formatting

Once you've gotten the go-ahead on a story, how do your format it for submission and how do or do you include sidebar information if you have it?

I think that every writer has his or her own way of formatting, and I don't think that there is a truly wrong way to go about this, but that said, here's how I set up my stories:

Greatest Article Ever Written: Allison Winn Scotch, Genius Magazine, December 2007

(Note: the above is the publication date, not the date that I hand it it)

Text, text, text that is written in Times font, size 12 and double spaced or 1.5 spaced
End of text

Sidebar: Why this story is so genius

Text, text, text

And that's it! Sort of common sense, and unless you turn your piece in on paper with unicorns in the background, I think you'll be okay.

But writers, I'm curious: how do you format your pieces when you hand them in? I know that everyone does it differently!



2 comments:

Writer, Rejected said...

Allison, you seem like an upbeat person. Congrats on your book, btw. I am wondering if you've experienced a lot of rejection as a writer and how you deal with it. Also, what do you think of my new blog? You can check it out at Literary Rejections on Display. I guess I'm naming names! www.literaryrejectionsondisplay.blogspot.com Thanks. And thanks for your informative blog.

Eileen said...

You forgot to mention the importance of including glitter in the envelope with the story. Critical.