Monday, May 21, 2007

Approaching Essays

***Listen to me on the radio today from 10AM - 10:40 EST on KTLR 890AM. You can listen to it on the web here.***

I had a weekend that sort of reminded me of aspects of TDLF. With two small kids, a career, an in-the-works new apartment, a marriage, a dog, etc (you get the point), I've realized that the first thing to go is often my social life. I know that any parent of young kids out there can relate. But this weekend, I had lunch with a fabulous friend on Friday, we had brunch with our awesome next-door neighbors (Broadway actors! Love them!) on Saturday, we went out with another couple on Sat night, and then I spent some time with Lizzie's parents, who were in town and wanted to meet my kids, on Sunday. All the while keeping our apt in tip-top shape for the open houses. Anyway, even though I was totally beat, I also felt so rejuvenated, not unlike how Natalie comes to feel. It's important to take time out and just have some fun, even if it's at the expense of the massive deadline that I have today (don't worry, I'm getting it done!) or playing catch-up with the blog. It was a good weekend, and not one I'll forget for a while.

Question of the day: I would like to know the best strategy for approaching editors when you have an essay to sell.

I've touched on this in the past on the blog (so search the archives), but the general rule of thumb is to have the entire essay piece written before you query the editor. From there, I like to write a very juicy paragraph or so, perhaps using my opening sentence from the actual essay, then providing a fabu summary of the piece. Don't send the piece as an attachment prior to getting the okay from the editor: that nearly guarantees deletion. Just write a very concise, catchy opener, list your credits and ask if you can send them the full essay.

At least that's what I'd do. But there are others out there who are wiser in the ways of essays than I am.

So, essay-sages, what say you?