Thursday, August 24, 2006

Brad Pitt and I are BFF

What creative ways do you say you have an inside track with an interesting interviewee? I write about music and musicians. Always looking for graceful and effective ways to say that.

I usually just come right out and say it. I mean, you want the editor to be impressed with the fact that you have the inside edge, so why not just let her know that? So, I've said things like, "I have a relationship with Famous Celeb's publicist and am certain that landing an interview wouldn't be a problem." Or "I've been lucky enough to befriend Huge Movie Star and feel confident that I could grab the interview." Or whatever. I don't think you need to be particularly graceful about it - after all, this is a brag moment for you! A moment to distinguish yourself among the gajillion other writers who would die to interview Huge Movie Star, so just put it out there!

1 comment:

Kerry Dexter said...

thanks, allison. as I'm the one who asked that question, let me explain what I was thinking of by saying there's the issue of will you be objective, do you know these people too well, etc that comes up depending on how the idea is presented -- so wording of these things is sometimes more chancy than it appears, in my experience. I know that I can write an objective story or I wouldn't be pitching it, but how to convey both access and objectivity is sometimes a challenge. I take your point, though (I think), that many editors will be delighted at the access in itself.